In Denver, many patients consider getting basal dental implants and want to learn more about them. But are they truly the best option for patients? Well, many top Denver dentists believe that there are much better alternatives for your oral health. In this blog post, we will explain what basal implants are, walk you through their pros and cons, and present a much safer and better alternative, offering clear insights for those considering this important decision.
What Are Basal Implants?
Basal implants are also known as bicortical or cortical implants. They anchor directly into the basal bone, which is the hard, cortical bone away from the jaw’s surface. This is different from standard implants that are placed in the crestal or spongy part of the bone. The design of basal implants is tailored to leverage the strength and resilience of the basal bone, especially in cases where the patient might have insufficient crestal bone due to conditions like atrophy or previous extractions. Made predominantly of titanium, their structure often includes a specific screw mechanism to enhance stability. While these implants provide an alternative solution in the realm of dental restoration, it’s essential to be well-informed about all options before making a decision.
Advantages of Basal Implants
- Eliminates Bone Grafting | Recommended for patients with minimal bone volume, removing the need for grafting.
- Quick Prosthetic Placement | Allows for immediate loading, enabling faster prosthetic teeth placement.
- Infection Resistance | Due to placement in the basal bone with fewer blood vessels, the risk of infection is very small.
- Suitable for Systemic Conditions | They can be an option for patients with conditions like diabetes.
Disadvantages of Basal Implants
- Specialized Nature | Their unique approach means few dentists are trained to place them.
- Higher Failure Risk | Immediate loading, if not done correctly, can lead to higher failure rates.
- Integration Concerns | There’s potential for less effective integration with natural bone, leading to long-term complications.
- Adjustment Challenges | The design of basal implants can make future adjustments or replacements more complex.
- Aesthetic Differences | The final result might not always match the natural appearance that standard implants can offer.
- Limited Research | There are a comparatively small number of long-term studies.
- Gum Recession Potential | There’s a risk of gum recession, which could expose the metal base, affecting the aesthetic outcome.
As you can see, while basal implants have some pros, they also come with a lot of significant issues. This is why dentists at our clinic advise patients against getting these implants. In fact, we don’t even offer them at our clinic. Instead, we recommend all-on-4 implants as a much better alternative all-around.
What Are All-On-4 Implants?
For many people grappling with damaged teeth, widespread decay, or deteriorating dental treatments, All-On-4 implants — commonly known as “Teeth in a Day” — can be a great solution. This innovative procedure involves taking out any remaining teeth and placing four to six dental implants per arch to anchor a full dental bridge. They are strategically positioned to maximize the use of existing bone. Like with basal implants, this procedure often eliminates the need for bone grafting. With All-On-4, patients can generally receive a stable, full-arch prosthesis over the course of a single day, blending both practicality and a natural appearance.
Distinctive features of All-On-4 implants:
- Natural Appearance | Mimics the look and feel of real teeth.
- Enhanced Taste | You can taste food better.
- Fixed Solution | Unlike dentures, it remains securely in place and is not removable.
- Longevity | Designed for durability, often outlasting other dental options.
- Quick Recovery | Use your implants soon after the procedure.
- Improved Chewing | Offers the best chewing ability for full arch replacements.
- Minimal Bone Requirement | Ideal even for those with limited bone availability.
- Streamlined Cleaning | Easier maintenance and oral hygiene compared to traditional dentures.
- No Roof-Of-Mouth Coverage | Keeps the roof of the mouth unobstructed.
Basal vs. All-On-4 Implants: A Comparison
Choosing the right dental implant can be challenging. Both basal and All-On-4 implants offer numerous benefits, but how do they stack up against each other? Here’s a side-by-side comparison to illustrate some key differences:
|Basal Implants||All-On-4 Implants|
|Number of Implants||Varies, generally several more than All-On-4||Varies, 4-6 per arch|
|Appearance||Varies, can be natural||Consistently natural-looking and feeling|
|Bone Requirement||Often eliminates the need for bone grafting||Typically avoids the need for bone grafting|
|Procedure Length||Usually takes several days to complete||Generally completed in one single day|
|Maintenance||Can be hard to clean and maintain good oral hygiene||Streamlined cleaning and oral hygiene|
|Long-Term Durability||Designed for longevity and durability||Designed for longevity and durability|
|Popularity & Research||Less common procedure with limited long-term studies||Widely accepted procedure with extensive research backing|
|Chewing||Functional||Has the best bite strength for full arch replacements|
|Smiling||Varied outcomes||Consistently delivers a radiant and confident smile|
While each implant type has its own set of advantages, the All-On-4’s combination of functionality, aesthetics, and research-backed studies positions it as the top choice for those seeking a comprehensive solution for restoring dental health.
Book A Free Consultation
Discover the transformative power of All-On-4 implants with our dedicated team at Denver Dentures and Implants. Unlike most dental practices, we focus exclusively on dental implants, dentures, and extractions, ensuring we offer the best treatments available. We also have an on-site dental lab that not only streamlines the process but also adds a personalized approach, providing quality services at competitive prices. Don’t miss out on a chance to redefine your smile with our All-On-4 implants. Book a free consultation with us today and start your journey towards a radiant and more confident future.